- Last Updated: 4:01 PM, August 19, 2012
- Posted: 1:32 AM, August 19, 2012
The battle for the Giants’ No. 3 receiver job is wide open, and thus far none of the candidates has emerged as the clear-cut favorite. Rookie Rueben Randle, though, made a nice push forward when he leaped with Jets cornerback Julian Posey in the third quarter of last night’s 26-3 preseason victory and hauled in David Carr’s pass for a 49-yard reception.
“It was a nice play, a very nice play,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said. “I would’ve liked to see him block a little better when he had an opportunity.’’
As a veteran, Domenik Hixon has a leg up for the third receiver spot. His only catch on the night was a 4-yard completion, but it came on third-and-1 and Hixon had to reach up against Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis to make the grab.
Jerrel Jernigan showed his shiftiness on a 19-yard catch-and-run in the third quarter. Ramses Barden did not catch a pass and failed to hold onto a catchable ball against Antonio Cromartie.
* Defensive end Justin Tuck had his left shoulder looked at during the first half, but was able to return to the game. He wore a wrap on the shoulder as he sat and watched after halftime.
Defensive end Adrian Tracy and linebacker Mark Herzlich came onto the field with the second-team defense, but both took a seat quickly. Tracy left with a hamstring injury, and Herzlich didn’t return because of a hip pointer. Tracy said he didn’t think the injury was serious. Herzlich said he was hit on the hip on his second play.
“It was very frustrating, obviously,’’ he said. “I tried to go another play or so and then just couldn’t run full stride. Just a blunt bruise.’’
* Rookie defensive tackle Markus Kuhn once again came in and immediately made a play, tripping up Tim Tebow for a one-yard loss. ... Rookie defensive end Adewale Ojomo had two sacks of Tebow and rookie safety Will Hill also had a sack of Tebow, his former college teammate at Florida.
* Lawrence Tynes went 4 for 4 on field goals, the longest a 45-yarder. ... D.J. Ware failed to make a block on the edge in punt protection and Steve Weatherford’s second-quarter punt was blocked by Aaron Maybin. ... Randle got a punt-return opportunity in the fourth quarter and gained 11 yards.
* Rookie fullback Joe Martinek had a 14-yard touchdown reception on a pass from Ryan Perrilloux — the only offensive touchdown of the game. ... Fullback Henry Hynoski had no rushing attempts as a rookie, but the Giants are trying to develop the 266-pound bruiser as a short-yardage back. They unveiled him on third-and-1, and Hynoski picked up two yards for the first down.
“That’s my first one,’’ Hynoski said. “Start if off on a good note.’’Follow @NYPostsports