- Last Updated: 1:18 AM, October 10, 2012
- Posted: 1:26 AM, October 6, 2012
Sandy Alderson’s definition of “quickly,” when it comes to David Wright’s and R.A Dickey’s future with the Mets, could mean before the first pitch of the World Series is even thrown.
The Mets general manager made it clear earlier this week a resolution on both players’ futures could come quickly. A baseball source with knowledge of the team’s thinking was more specific yesterday, saying it’s conceivable Wright and Dickey will have new deals in place, at least in principle, by the time the World Series begins later this month.
Wright and Dickey are under club control for 2013, but have indicated they will test free agency next offseason if they do not receive new contracts by spring training.
According to sources, Alderson has not yet begun discussing numbers with Dickey’s representative, Bo McKinnis, but spoke with one of Wright’s agents earlier this week. The third baseman is represented by Sam and Seth Levinson.
Many in the industry expect Wright, who will turn 30 in December, to seek a contract of at least seven years and $125 million. The Mets hold a $16 million option on Wright for next season, but that can be blended into a new deal.
Before the Mets concluded their season on Wednesday, Dickey told The Post he had no reason to fear his upcoming surgery would hurt his bargaining power. The knuckleballer is scheduled to have surgery on Oct. 18 to repair an abdominal tear — an injury he pitched through for most of the season. The expected recovery time is 4-6 weeks.
The Mets hold a $5 million option on the 37-year-old Dickey for next season, but that also can be ripped up as part of a new deal. Dickey is a Cy Young award candidate after becoming the first Mets pitcher since 1990 to win 20 games in a season.
“He’s probably looking at Oliver Perez dollars for sure,” a veteran agent said.
Perez landed a three-year deal worth $36 million from the Mets before the 2009 season.Follow @NYPostsports